Friday, July 19, 2013

Time to Turn Another Corner

As you become older, you realize life is all about decisions- both big and small. This is probably why many children want to be older; they want to make their own decisions.  Then you grow up and wish someone could tell you what to do. Oh the irony of life.

I am Type A, as many of you are too if you are engaged in veterinary medicine. I like the timeline of life to be neat and tidy and make sense. Through the last 2 months I have realized that life does not always want to be neat and tidy and you have to throw that desire out the window and become comfortable with change.

I have recently decided to switch employers for a career opportunity to become a clinic manager in addition to the duties of an associate veterinarian. I struggled with my strong pull toward loyalty to my employer and my fear of becoming complacent in my career. In the end, I chose to further my career. The decision seems straight forward now, but at the time I was trying to make the decision based on what if scenarios. What if I start a family in the next year? What if Matt finds a job in another location? Should I switch jobs after only 1 year, will I look like a job hopper?

With some help from my friends for some perspective, I took a risk. While I have not started the new position yet, it just feels right. Since I am Type A, it's funny how I have made some of biggest decisions on "it just feels right"- my marriage, my first dog adoption (unplanned), even my decision to leave my career in finance and go to vet school (this was not always the case if you read my previous blog).

When it became time to write out the pros and cons of moving on, the decision was clear. Luckily, I had the support to move forward. I spent time at the other clinic to try to ensure it was the right fit, and I tried to negotiate the areas of my current job I was unsatisfied with. The right decision presented itself clearly after a week of deliberation.

In summary, it is important to take risks and continue moving forward with life.  Unfortunately, we all have to make decisions. Some will be wrong, even if they feel right. The best thing is to take your time, keep a level head, and make a list- the right choice will pop out at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment