Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Trying to exit honorably

In a prior blog post, I mentioned pursuing a new job opportunity, with more of a management role along with continuing my small animal ER clinical duties. Last week, I gave my notice to my employer, who shall remain nameless. After advice from many friends and professionals, I decided to focus on pursuing the management opportunity as my reason for leaving, and not mention the other issues I was having with the company. Be diplomatic, and don't burn my bridge.

I nervously but confidently, walked in and when asked when I would leave I replied that I would honor my 45 days notice stipulated in my contract. He asked if I could stay on an extra 10 days, since covering shifts can be difficult, and I happily agreed and my new employer was flexible. The next day a company email went out (which I was conveniently left off of) asking to cover my shifts effective immediately and to not let me know.  It even stated that this was because I was going to a competing clinic. I have no proprietary information, and I would have been flexible if he had told me that when we met. He still has not told me of his plan, and feel this behavior was unprofessional and underhanded.

I am sharing this knowledge because sometimes you can do the right thing and it does not matter. My bridge is burned, an ego is bruised, but in the end I am all the better for it.  As for my reaction, I have reneged on my agreement to stay the extra 10 days, but have requested in email for confirmation of my last day as my 45th day since giving notice. Again, the honorable and professional way. No underhanded emails or scare tactics. If I am asked to leave early, well, so be it.

When in doubt, be professional and do the right thing. This profession is small and I am confident that people are taking notice of the right and wrong way to exit honorably.

1 comment:

  1. Certainly a reminder to be thankful for good, honorable bosses and associates. Best of luck in the new practice.

    ReplyDelete